'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Monday, 7 September 2015

First weekend of Open Studios!


Well - my fellow artist Teresa Newham and I have had a wonderful first weekend at our Open Studios! Over 30 visitors turned up and we had a lovely time showing everyone our work and talking about what we do. Between us we had so much stuff to show off that Teresa's dining room vanished beneath a plethora of arty stuff, not to mention Teresa's studio which was equally crammed with paintings, prints and photographs and a terrific reduction lino cut display. Everyone who came seemed to be really interested and enjoying themselves so thanks to all of you that made the trip over to Harpenden!

Teresa with her lino cut display
Part of Open Studios is demonstrating how you work so we spent quite a lot of time sitting and being as creative as we could under the circumstances (wielding a paintbrush while you explain things is always pretty tricky!). Teresa experimented with coloured pencils over a light grey ground, while I tackled an idea I had for a sun horse. The watercolour kept galloping away in all directions as I talked, while I kept trying to corral it back and make it behave. In the end it started to shape up nicely despite the fact that I managed to get Branston Pickle on it while eating my lunch. Note to self: never eat within 3 feet of a painting...

Sun Horse in a pickle
Amazingly, I managed to get it off without any ill effects, but although the official title of the painting will be 'Sun Horse', I will always think of it as 'Pickle'.

Teresa and I will be sharing Open Studios for the next two weekends and also on Wednesday the 16th when all Harpenden Artists will be open together, so there is still plenty of time to visit and see how 'Pickle' turns out!

Herts Open Studios
Wensley Arts
  4 Wensley Close, Harpenden AL5 1RZ

Saturday - Sunday, 12th - 13th Sept 2015
Wednesday 16th Sept
Saturday - Sunday, 19th - 20th Sept
11am - 5pm

.

No comments: