'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Sunday, 14 June 2015

Unicorn by Sue Wookey
Another new painting to share - this time a bit more fantastic than my usual fare as a lot of people at the last Craft Event I did asked me if I'd ever painted a unicorn. To be honest it had never occurred to me. Then the possibility of taking part in a future Fairytale themed exhibition came up so a unicorn seemed ideal! But the more I thought about it the more I realised that I wanted to do something that got away from the usual modern representation of unicorns - i.e. a big strong horse with a horn on its head. I wanted to return to the medieval idea of a delicate animal, shy and smaller than a horse, and veering between being deerlike, or horselike, or even goatlike depending on which representation you were looking at. Things were much less fixed in those days! So here is my Unicorn - a cross between a deer and a small horse, a bit furrier, with large ears to listen for danger, blue-eyed and very delicate.

The words I've written for the border are:

Seek the pure heart of your childhood
and sit quietly within its hidden garden.
Flowers will unfold all around you
and shyly, stop by step, Beauty will come - SW


.

No comments: