'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Monday, 16 February 2015

La Bella Luna

La Bella Luna © Sue Wookey
A new painting and this one is a little unusual. The Eagle Gallery will be celebrating its 10th Anniversary in April with an all Italian Exhibition: 'Italian Connection'. I've decided to go full on Italian Renaissance for it and emulate those beautiful profile portraits beloved by Botticelli and the like.

My painting represents a personification of the Moon - La Bella Luna - and is stuffed full of moon symbolism. Those Renaissance masters loved symbolism so I'm on home ground here! There are moths (5 if you can spot them all), a hare, mistletoe with its moon like berries, a willow by a stream, an owl's wing, pearls and a beautiful moonstone pendant. I've given her golden hair partly as a contrast to all the greys and blues, and partly because the moon can be gold as well as silver and reflects her partner, the sun. Renaissance portraits often include a Trompe-l'œil window frame (you know how much I like to 'frame' my works with a border!) so I've included one in a soft silvery wood.

Now to find a real frame to complement it - I'm thinking silver, flamboyant and in the Italian style. No place for restraint here....

.
.

No comments: