'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Thursday, 6 March 2014

Mini-acrylic paintings

I've been trying to think of ways to add interest to the exhibition I'm doing at the Eagle Gallery in June (see fab poster on the right!) and have been painting up some small 6" x6" canvases with acrylics. I've tried to maintain my combination of text and image by putting words around the canvas edge. I figure that as the space is there why not use it? And the smaller the painting is, the bigger, in relation, that chunky edge seems. I've kept to small canvases as I haven't painted with anything this hefty since doing oils donkey's years ago, so I thought I'd start out bijou! It's been a lot of fun, although I don't think it will ever replace my love for the luminosity of watercolour. It's so.... heavy. On the upside I'm not used to being able to paint over/scrape off mistakes. It's a bit of a luxury not to feel that at any point you can ruin it forever with one badly judged wash.

The Sun Horse has a lot of gold at the bottom and on the fringes of the horse's mane which, sadly, can't really be seen on the photo. The hidden words around the edge say 'PASSION  ENERGY  STRENGTH   AND FIRE'.  I like him so much it's going to be hard to put him up for sale in the exhibition, but I really must stop keeping all my horses.

© Sue Wookey
The painting below is one of those mad ideas that come to you in dreams. Saying Hello to the Moon is both the title and forms the words around the edge of the canvas. I'm hoping to complete two more mini-canvases before June. Nothing like a serious exhibition to make you work your socks off!

© Sue Wookey

No comments: