'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Thursday, 3 October 2013

Artscape Open Studios: Thank you!

Hilary, Teresa, Pauline and Judi hard at work!

Thank you to everyone who came to visit us at Artscape through September - we had over 200 visitors, most of them on the days we were demonstrating. It was lovely meeting so many interested people and having the chance to talk about what we do. I think all our visitors appreciated the variety of work and techniques at the exhibition. I have to also give a big thank you to Gurmeet and all his team at Artscape for letting us use the 'room above the shop' and for making it so suitable for us. It really showed off the work and I know that a lot of the staff went the extra mile to get it ready and cover our Open Studios hours. It really was appreciated. You are all great!!!

I enjoyed demoing but didn't manage to create anything particularly spectacular. It's hard to paint and talk and it's more important to talk! We were there to share, LOL. I did some more of the small watercolours based on British wildlife. Yes -  MORE badgers! But I did managed to throw in a a rather slinky looking fox (below). I'm pretty sure he's up to no good. And I spent far more time than is sensible producing a painting of two bunnies in a woodland glade. The glade is great, but the bunnies are too cute. Is it possible to paint bunnies and not make them look as though they've escaped from a chocolate box lid? Hares are so much easier - all those angles and quick eyes and gangly legs. Bunnies just look like bundles of fluff on the verge of an anxiety attack. The bunnies may yet end up in the bin along with the ex-red squirrel from a couple of weeks ago. Still, it was a lot of fun, even though I was trying to eke the paintings out so much I ended up painting individual hairs with a teeny tiny brush. If you do a big wash late in the day you have to get soggy paper home. Not going there.

Woodland Meeting and Misty Morning with the slinky fox
 © Sue Wookey

I made up some packs of cards for the first time and they did very well - I had a Christmas Pack (remember the little mice?), a pack of Animals with the Moon, a pack of Tree of Life paintings and finally a pack of Sacred Landscapes. They seemed to do well and now I'm thinking of doing packs of the small woodland animals. I like a project - something to work on as the nights draw in and painting time gets shorter.


 New card packs
 (only available directly from me at craft events and exhibitions)

.

No comments: