'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Tuesday, 16 October 2012

High on Galley Hill

On Galley Hill © Sue Wookey

With all the rather manic preparations to exhibit at Open Studios and in the Crypt of St Martin-in-the-Fields, I've only just realised that I haven't posted my two latest paintings, both showing the hill near my home, which featured in both the exhibitions. On Galley Hill shows the wind blown hill top with its leaning hawthorn trees, yellow rape (now you know how long ago I painted it!) and running hare. Beneath the chalky path the nodules of flint push their way up, reminding us of our past when they provided tools and fire sparks for our ancestors. The words around the painting were written by me and read:

Up high on the hill, the soft grass bending 
over nubbles of flint, dark fists pushing upwards 
under hawthorn tangles and a grey-snagged sky.
- SW 

 
 Galley Hill from the East © Sue Wookey

Galley Hill from the East shows the far side of the hill and one of my favourite walks. Following around the base of the hill you eventually reach the ancient Icknield Way, one of Britain's oldest trackways. Perhaps the hare is thinking of going there! The words around the border (also by me) read:

The old way and the winding way,
the overgrown way that the hare loves,
between the white chalk and the white elder
and the quiet hill rising.
- SW 

On Galley Hill and Galley Hill from the East are now available as limited edition giclee prints from my Galley Hill Art website.
 

3 comments:

Lynn-Marie Gildersleeve said...

*sigh* They are beautiful.

Sue W said...

Thanks L-M! I've just realised that not only am I late posting them here, I've never posted them on V-W!

Jayne said...

The paintings are just delightful. I love the style of your work.