Our gazebo before it was cut off in its prime
Hilary demonstrates Plan C
An hour or so of bracing ourselves against the gale later, we were on Plan D - stop the gazebo leaving the dock like a ship in full sail by removing all the sides and letting the air through. Plan D worked very well for a while. We were even a little bit smug as gazebos collapsed and died all around us. Then.... disaster. Total failure of the back left side leg and suddenly our gazebo was crumpling like a hankie all over two nice customers. Very quickly we were on Plan E, trying to take the gazebo down against gale force winds. For a while it struggled like a giant canvas octopus. In the middle of all this there was a massive gust and our cards and prints took off in the wind. We didn't know whether to hold onto the gazebo, or let it take off for a burial in space and save our stock. Luckily some very kind passers by dropped everything and helped us. Finally we were on Plan F, sitting out in the intermittent rain (never very bad, thank goodness!) dabbing our cards with paper towels. It was very, very British. We even sold some stuff!
When I got home I had to dry everything out....
this is only part of it....
Sunday the weather was much better - the sun came out and there was a lot less wind. We could relax and enjoy ourselves as it was a beautiful day. But for some reason sold far fewer cards and prints! As large clouds kept rolling over, we kept most stuff displayed flat ready for Plan G (throwing plastic sheets over everything).
Our display without the gazebo
There we lots of people walking up and down and a fair bit of interest. Hopefully, even though sales were a bit disappointing, we have encouraged quite a few people to visit us at Open Studios. Saturday really was gruelling but I'm already thinking of next year and whether it's possible to take arting to new extremes and go completely gazeboless...
All photos © Sue Wookey