'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Monday, 22 August 2011

Twelve Hares

© Sue Wookey

One can never have too many hares! Twelve Hares is a painting based on the fascinating symbol of the Vesica Piscis, two overlapping circles creating a central mandorla (also found in my painting The Cradle of Life). For some unfathomable reason - I guess it's that Muse again - the whole thing popped into my head almost complete, but then, having got it well and truly stuck there, I had to draw it and make all the hares fit. That's the sort of thing that can give you sleepless nights! The Vesica Piscis represents the birth of life and this painting is filled with circles and mandorlas, defining the shapes of all the twelve hares found in this work. They symbolize the continuity of life and its cycle. Dancing between day and night they show Nature's abundance and continual renewal. At the bottom of the picture a hare guards a secret - which could be the full moon, or the pearl of great price, or even the white stone of the alchemists. What ever is it, it is the complete and perfect heart of all life. I composed the words for the border because I couldn't find anything that summed up the complexities I've stuffed into this work. I'm still not entirely convinced that I've captured it, but they read:

Year by year on the hill rises the golden corn, and over the hill swings the reaping moon, and always on the hill leaps the nimble hare - Sue Wookey


Please God there will always be hares on the hills.

'Twelve Hares' is now available from by website, Galley Hill Art, as a limited edition giclee print using lightfast inks on heavyweight archival 100% cotton Hahnemuhler fine-art paper.

.

2 comments:

sunt said...

Fab-u-lous!! The design is *so* clever--love it!

Hazle

Sue W said...

Thank you Hazle! It was certainly a challenge, but I got there with all of them in the end :-)