'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Thursday, 4 August 2011

Owls rule

© Sue Wookey


Herts Open Studios is coming up all too quickly, with HVAF members exhibiting throughout September, and its time to get my head around what I'll be showing at our usual Artscape Venue. This year, as well as the usual originals, prints and cards, I decided that it would be nice to have a selection of smaller watercolours which will be presented in mounts, but left unframed to keep costs down for buyers. This has given me the chance to paint some looser, more traditional watercolours before I forget how to do it. I also have so much lovely, textured paper that its criminal not to be using it. I use the smoothest paper I can find for my usual work so that it will take detail and scan beautifully for prints, but I have a whole drawer of the rough stuff begging me to get busy with it.

© Sue Wookey

And so we come to owls - or more specifically - barn owls. Start painting them and it becomes obsessive. Those ghostly, heart shaped faces, the blunt profile that looks as though they are head butting the wind when they fly, the huge arc of their wings. You get hooked on their strange shape and general all-round spookiness. So I decided to paint a series of them from a variety of angles, using my biggest mop brush on quite small (5" x 7") paper for the backgrounds and using my dip pen to get into the finer details. I'll have them at Open studios along with some mini-mystical landscapes and various hares (don't get me started on hares....).

© Sue Wookey

4 comments:

sunt said...

Very atmospheric! Those owls are seriously wonderful. I would *love* to see any hares that you paint in a similar method. Hares--J'ADORE.

Hazle

Sue W said...

That's very kind of you! I do have some hares, done at the same time, but haven't got around to posting them yet. I'm also working on a new 'big' hare painting, so it's hares everywhere at the moment! Watch this space...

sunt said...

Ooo! Superbe!

*waits patiently* :-)

Teresa N said...

as you know, I love these owls - particularly effective when you see them displayed here all together!