'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Wednesday, 10 August 2011

The Green Lady

© Sue Wookey
I've finally finished and scanned (I now have my own A3 scanner!) my companion piece to The Green Man Ready for Battle. Where he shows nature at its most implacable, The Green Lady is much gentler! She represents Nature at its most abundant and generous. I've surrounded her with honeysuckle because of its beautiful scent, field bindweed for abundance and strength, and blackberry blossom for its fruit. I've also painted in my favourite butterflies (comma, holly blue and ringlet) and a couple of visiting bees. There is even a tiny ladybird. As a final detail I've given her green eyelashes. If I was a Green Lady I wouldn't have anything less.The quotes around the border read:

Nature never did betray the heart that loved her - William Wordsworth 
In leaf and blade, in bud and bloom exultantly her gladness grows - R.W. Service

The Green Lady is now available as a limited edition giclee print at Galley Hill Art.

'

No comments: