'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Rain stopped play....

© Sue Wookey

After a really enjoyable Open Studios at The Priory Heritage Centre (it went really, REALLY well!) I was looking forward to spending the following Sunday taking part in Art on the Common. It was huge fun last year, despite nearly being blown from Harpenden to Outer Mongolia by very strong winds. The annual Harpenden event raises money for Cancer Research and everyone else had a very successful day on the Saturday without me. Having packed up at the Priory I was ready to decamp to the Common. I even spent the entire evening making loads more cards because I'd sold out of all the best-selling ones (there's logic in there somewhere...). I packed the car with everything I might need - umbrella, cagoule, woolly hat, fleece, sleeveless top, sunhat, suncream (last year I got hypothermia and sunburn) and was ready for anything. But it rained and rained and rained. We only got the gazebo half up and decided to call it a day. Later in the morning I passed the common again, and there were four gazebos braving the elements with King Lear like defiance and two hardy walkers browsing in rain macs. Later on the wind and rain whipped up into a real frenzy. I wonder if they're in Outer Mongolia?
.

No comments: