'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Sunday, 29 May 2011

Moon Horse

© Sue Wookey

Yes, it really is another horse and this one is so special to me he's not even going on sale, although I have made prints so I can share a little bit of him even while I keep the original. He is very real to me and if I had a garden bigger than a fairy's pocket handkerchief and could keep a horse, then he would be it. He has, I think you will agree, a great deal of presence. And I wanted his dappling to be like the dappling of the moon. Because of the association with the Moon, he should really be a she, but, well, he isn't. So there. I painted him a few months ago and put off the print making as long as I could because I knew it would be a nightmare, and it was! Hours of fiddling, balancing and tweaking have, in the end, produced prints I'm really pleased with. I gave blood to get the colour of the earth right. Well... not literally... but late yesterday it really felt like I had. I couldn't find a quote to go around him that I was happy with so wrote something myself:

Over the hill runs the Horse,
above the hill rides the Moon,
silvered with the forgotten fire - 
the dappled Horse and the Moon.

Don't ask me to explain it, you will have to ask the Muse.

Giclee prints are available, as ever, from my website at Galley Hill Art.

2 comments:

lmg said...

Love this newest piece. He absolutely represents strength. Mystical and pure.

Sue W said...

Thanks LMG! I'm glad you like him so much and I think you've captured exactly how I feel about him in your words.