'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Friday, 8 April 2011

The Temple of the Moon

© Sue Wookey
Another moon painting. Yes, I admit it, I'm obsessed with the moon and I think the recent spectacular Lunar Perigee at the Spring Equinox hasn't helped. It was just so Big and Bright and Beautiful. It made me want to leap around the night-time garden just to celebrate all that silver light, but thankfully I spared the neighbours (and the snails - it's impossible to run around my garden at night without flattening snails, slowly processing westwards across the grass, on some inpentetrable mission). This painting is also full of mystery. Like Eostra's Moon, the moon is being reborn inside an ancient mound, but this one has Guardian Trees and the traces of a labyrinth on the top. Behind it a full moon hangs over a misty lake. The words around the edge read:
Behold the glow of the moon
illumine the world's four quarters
perfect light in perfect space
a radiance that purifies.
- Shih Te
The Temple of the Moon is now available as a limited edition giclee print from Galley Hill Art.

No comments: