'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Wednesday, 16 March 2011

Earth and Fire

Earth and Fire
© Sue Wookey

This is a newish painting that I've been meaning to post for a while, but I wanted to wait until I'd made giclee prints. Getting the colours right have been a nightmare, but I'm finally satisfied with them and they are now available at Galley Hill Art. The painting represents the Elements of Earth and Fire, with the stag representing fire. Stags have a longstanding relationship with the Sun in many cultures and have been regarded as a sacred animal since neolithic times. This fiery stag popped up (or, more specifically, bounded up) in a half-waking dream and was so vivid I had to capture him in paint. Needless to say he doesn't now look anything like what I saw. Such is the gap between our imagination and what happens when you get your jam jar of water out. Never mind, he still looks pretty hot. The words around the outside are attributed to St Patrick and describe his imaginative vision of all that is staggy:
Light of sun, radiance of moon, splendour of fire, speed of lightening, swiftness of wind, depth of sea, stablility of earth, firmness of rock.
.

3 comments:

Teresa N said...

And a happy St Patrick's Day to you too! as I posted on VW, I would definitely like a print of this one please. Although it might have to wait until we move before I can put it on the wall LOL

Sue W said...

I'm really glad you like it so much! I'd forgotten it was St Patrick's Day. How serendipidous it that?

Airwin said...

I don't know how you imagined your creation to come out, but it's beautiful just the same!