'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Wednesday, 4 August 2010

Yet another Tree of Life






















The Golden Seed
© Sue Wookey

And yet another attempt at Life, the Universe and Everything. One day I'll stop painting the Tree of Life.... OK, you're right, I probably won't! I think there are several Trees left in me yet. Maybe an entire Forest.

This painting started off as an attempt to create a less stylised Tree. Really worked, huh? Once again we have the balance of opposites within the Tree (which of course represents all Creation), but this Tree is bearing suns and moons as its fruit. It's springing up in all it's profusion from a small version of the simple Indian Tree I painted a couple of years ago, based on an ancient Chola Bronze. A simple archetype from which an endless variety constantly evolves. Today I read the words of someone who compared the manifest universe to God's clothes, a glorious robe through which we can see Him and which also envelopes us. Makes it even more important that we don't pick holes in it, eh?

The words around the border are from the Shvetashvatara Upanishad and read:

He is the One who presides over all
and rules over everyone from within.
He sows the golden seed of life when time begins
and helps us know its unity.

Prints (in glorious technicolour) of  The Golden Seed are available from my website at Galley Hill Art

4 comments:

Teresa K said...

I absolutely love this, Sue! it will be a best-seller, I'm sure. The idea of the manifest universe as God's clothes reminds me of Gerard Manley Hopkins' concept of "inscape". And it's good to know that you'll be painting more versions of the Tree of Life. It will be interesting to see how the concept changes through the years!

Sue W said...

Thanks T! I love Gerard Manley Hopkins, his poems are full of the joy and wonder that I think inhabit the universe.

Perla Daly said...

beautiful!! i love the gold and warm colors of your tree of life. love love love.

Sue W said...

Thank you Perla!