'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Friday, 9 July 2010

It's all about Tolkien...






















Tom looks through the Ring
© Sue Wookey

It's all go on the Tokien front at the moment. Not only have I FINALLY made prints of Tom looks through the Ring (it's only taken me a couple of years....), but I'm exhibiting in August at the Festival in the Shire, a huge Tolkien event talking place at Pafiliwn Bont, Wales, from the 13th to the 15th August, 2010.

From the Festival Site: This will be the most comprehensive event ever held for the fans of J.R.R. Tolkien, with a conference, a fan exposition of original art, rare books and memorabilia as well as a large festival with stalls and entertainment.

Sounds like something for everyone!

As well as the originals, which you can see at the exhibition and which won't be for sale because I can't bear to part with them, there will be prints available in the Festival Shop, (including my overdue Tom looks through the Ring). There will be many more Tolkien inspired artists at the event and, for those with tickets for the Conference, a chance to hear Tom Shippey (can you see me genuflecting?) Verlyn Flieger and John Garth speaking.

For more info about Festival in the Shire, visit the website at http://www.festivalintheshire.com/ or contact info@FestivalintheShire.com or freephone 0800 6125469.

And while we're on the subject of Tolkien, my Glaurung's Death Throes is currently thrashing about on the cover of the latest issue of Mallorn, thanks to Henry Gee:

© Sue Wookey/Mallorn

Very fiery and splendid he looks too..... Glauring that is. So, with the Festival coming up fast I really must get down to making more prints, making cards....worshiping Tom Shippey...doing another new Tolkien painting. Maybe I'll even get down to painting Aragorn with the Palantir, which I sketched out over a year ago and which has been in artistic limbo ever since. It would be good to have an Aragorn at the Festival. I can't wait! Did I mention Tom Shippey.......?

4 comments:

Airwin said...

Sounds like exciting times for you Sue! Congrats on your exhibition next month and your Mallorn cover.It's magnificent!

Sue W said...

Thanks Airwin! It's certainly all go at the moment, but it's great to be busy and have so many opportunities : -)

cromercrox said...

Who says I'm not fiery and splendid, eh?

Sue W said...

Ah, I'm sure you are! But can you immobilise someone at 40 paces just by looking at them?