'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Saturday, 24 April 2010

Treebeard

Treebeard
© Sue Wookey

I've finally painted my Treebeard and am hoping to have prints available of him at Galley Hill Art very soon (next week, hopefully!). This is Treebeard on the knoll where he encounters Merry and Pippin, and I've tried to capture his quizzical look as he takes in the Hobbits. I've stuck with Tolkien's description on him as 'Man-like, almost Troll-like' as there is always the question of what to do with Treebeard's legs if you make him too like a tree. Knee caps in great big tree trunks just don't cut it. He's maybe not as 'sturdy' as Tolkien had in mind - more wiry, but I wanted him sort of 'twiggy' and showing his extreme age. His 'trunk' could be clothes or could be skin. I'm hoping he's a fit partner for my Fimbrethil, despite the ages and leagues that divide them!

'Together we will take the road that leads into the West,
And far away will find a land where both our hearts may rest.'
- JRR Tolkien

1 comment:

Teresa K said...

I think Treebeard will look very good alongside Fimbrethil. Who knows, if other people think the same, the prints might sell in pairs!