'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Wednesday, 20 January 2010

Photography roots


Beech Trees, Sharpenhoe
© Sue Wookey

I've opened a new section at Galley Hill Art for black and white photography, my first love from the days when I worked with it at the BBC Hulton (now glorified via several sales and incarnations into the world's biggest picture agency). I'm steadily going to build up a selection of limited edition black and white giclee prints of some of my photographs (more enduring than a photographic print which will only fade and annoy you hugely). I have a horrible feeling that they are nearly all going to be of trees. Going back through all my photos I seem to have a serious tree obsession going on. How very Tolkien.

The trees above are giant beech trees growing over the bank of an iron age promotory hillfort on Sharpenhoe Clappers, which is part of the Chiltern range in Bedfordshire. I have so many photos of the Clappers you wouldn't believe. Anyway, the gnarled roots of this old tree look amazing, curling over the earth bank in a mass of knots. I'm sure this tree must walk about at night going 'hoom hoom'.

2 comments:

Teresa K said...

I think it's a great idea to offer some of your photos to a wider audience - looking forward to seeing a selection on the website!

Sue W said...

I have a few more up my sleeve for next week. Trees of course : -). I'd still love to do a black and white photography exhibit. I think that's something serious to work towards next year!