'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Tuesday, 26 January 2010

It's all about balance...

 
Balance
© Sue Wookey
Here is the first of several new paintings that I'll be posting over the next few weeks. Yes - it's the Tree of Life (again!) but this is one of those paintings that has wilfully gone off in its own direction. To be honest, for a day or so I had no idea why there were so many circles around and underneath the Tree apart from the fact that they somehow looked 'right'. The title just popped into my head and as soon as I had the title I began to understand the painting. This ought to be the wrong way round to do things but somehow it works for me. I think that it means that all life is delicately balanced on a fragile support, take it too far one way or the other and everything is off kilter. This applies as much to nature as to ourselves and the way we live in the world. It also applies to our inner harmony. Nothing in excess as the old adage goes. Weirdly I feel as though my own painting is wagging a finger at me and I resolve to be more... well.... harmonious.

I hope to have prints of this available at Galley Hill Art in a few days :-)

2 comments:

Teresa K said...

This is lovely - I'm sure it will prove popular. As well as the balance (ha!) of the design I love the gold lines which make up the border. Interesting that the title came to you late on in the process; I always get the title in my head first, and then have to work out what my painting is going to be!

Sue W said...

Amazing how every artist has their own unique way of working and somehow getting there in the end!