'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Wednesday, 26 August 2009

Great balls of fire...

Tree of Transformation
© Sue Wookey

I have two new paintings ready to go to our Open Studios Exhibtion in Harpenden on the 1st September (see post below). The Tree of Transformation came out of nowhere and painted itself while I had no idea what was going on. It just sort of grew. I don't know what you might see in it but I see worlds being re-formed and re-born, and it took me quite a while to realise the bird was going to be a Phoenix. Which is probably why it looks nothing like one. Luckily for me it has hardly any blue in it as blue is horrible to try to match for prints (which will be available very soon). I must remember to do more red and yellow paintings and save myself the agony of Cobalt Blue.

The Sun Boat
© Sue Wookey

This is a larger version of a little painting that I've had for sometime, meaning to work it up into something proper. To save you craning upside down the words around the picture read:

The Seket boat, wherein is thy majesty, goeth forth with might, thy beams are upon all faces, thy rays of red and yellow cannot be known, and thy bright beams cannot be told.

It's from a very old translation of the Papyrus of Ani, from E.A Wallace Budge's 'Egyptian Religion'. I rather like it. 'Thy rays of red and yellow' (and no tricky Cobalt Blue).

3 comments:

Teresa K said...

I really like the Tree of Transformation, and the quotes around the edge, reminding us that nothing stays the same. It's very appropriate right now . . . !

Sue W said...

It is, isn't it? Perhaps that's why I had to do this painting!

LĂșthien Athariel said...

Hi, I came upon your name and work via an exhibit of Tolkien inspired art. Googling your name, the first image that I saw was the "Tree of Transformation" and then the "Sun Boat". They appeal to me, they have a strong mythical quality as CG Jung's drawings in "the Red Book".