'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Thursday, 16 April 2009

Amon Hen and Mallorn

© Sue Wookey

One of my paintings - Gandalf the White - is on the cover of The Tolkien Society's Bulletin 'Amon Hen' this month and has come out looking very well given the humungous amount of detail crammed into a very small space. I also designed the leafy writing, which was great fun to do - I'll now have to try and come up with an entire leafy alphabet! Many thanks to Andrew Butler for letting me do another cover and scrawl leafily all over it.

The Tolkien Society's Biannual Journal 'Mallorn' also came out this month and is so unexpectedly full of my paintings (I expected 2 and ended up with 4 full colour illustrations and 2 pen sketches) that I really think that I'll have to kiss Henry Gee's feet the next time I see him. A great boost for any artist trying to get their stuff 'out there'. I hope everyone enjoys seeing them as much as I enjoyed painting them!

I have two more Tolkien paintings coming up which I will post when I can get the scans done. I've finally got around to painting Mrs Fangorn AKA Fimbrethil who - due to an unfortunate combination of spiky twigs and cheery red cheeks - went through an totally uncalled for Mrs Tiggywinkle phase before I managed to rescue her. Now she looks like an ent should and not as though she rolls through the grass collecting leaves in her spare time. Plus I'm in the middle of wrestling with a colour version of Glaurung and I think Glaurung is winning. The painting is, at the moment, horrendous and unless Turin comes along (AKA my muse...) Glauring will have the whole painting in shreds in the bin. At least he doesn't look like Mrs Tiggywinkle.

4 comments:

cromercrox said...

Have you actually seen my feet, Sue?

Sue W said...

Well, if you're wearing those really cool red crocs I might go for it, LOL.

Sarah A said...

Congratulations on such a stunning cover.
If anyone's interested I have purple slipper crocs with a pig stud decoration

Sue W said...

Thanks Sarah!
They sound fab :- ) I feel a sudden need to go and get myself a wild pair of crocs so I don't feel left out.