'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Thursday, 12 March 2009

I do love a good dragon...

Glaurung's death throes
© Sue Wookey

Like Tolkien I love a good dragon and as dragons go Glaurung is right up there at the top of the treasure heap. I've been trying to capture that most terrifying of all dragon encounters - waiting for one to crawl right over you: 'the watchers from beneath could see the huge shadow of his head against the stars; and his jaws gaped, and he had seven tongues of fire.' The Children of Hurin. I've drawn the moment when Turin has buried Gurthang in Glaurung's belly and the dragon is just beginnig to roll away. I think there is a very scary painting in here somewhere but, for the moment, I quite enjoy the extreme contrasts between dark and light that you can get with a good old pencil drawing. Sometimes it's nice not to think about colour!

3 comments:

Sarah A said...

So say we all

s

hippy0024 said...

a psychedelic tolkein loving wookie?...unbelieveable!

Sue W said...

Why thank you very much! :- )