'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Wednesday, 18 February 2009

New paintings

Raven with the Sun
©
Sue Wookey

I've finally completed the colour version of the Raven with the Sun after posting the sketch for this in January:

Here a raven has the sun in his beak (as in the Native American myths where Raven gave light to the world), but the light is at the heart of a maze - in other words in the heart of us, at the centre of our journey. The feathers are souls that the raven is guiding inwards.

Ravens can have a lot of negative associations (Poe, anyone?) but I see them as a positive symbol, a guide through difficult transitions.

Indian Tree of Life and Knowledge
©
Sue Wookey

This has gone all colourful - it didn't start out like this at all! It's based on a wonderful 17th century bronze chola sculpture, although I've simplified it a lot. I just loved the shape and simplicity of the design. I've tried to incorporate a balance of opposites into it as the Tree of Life stands at the centre of all things, the place where the one separates into the many. When I finished it I realised that the tree looks rather brain-like, which is sort of cool and rather disturbing at one and the same time...

4 comments:

Teresa K said...

Very much liking the tree, in particular!

Sue said...

I'm glad you like it! It's one of the ones I'm going to exhibit and make prints of : -)

lmg said...

Sue, crows are wonderful creatures. They have complex social structures and of course very intelligent. The tree is wonderful too. I like how your style has evolved even from last year. It seems you are using brighter colors (more so than your Tolkien work) and I think it suits your subjects.

LM

Sue said...

Thanks, LM :-). I do seem to have come over all colourful with these two. I must be releasing my inner rainbow!