'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Thursday, 27 November 2008

And now for something completely different.... paintings that AREN'T SQUARE. I can do it, I really can. I've been mucking about painting standing stones and flinging the watercolour about just for the fun of it. This one has turned out very red and firey, with those strange cup and ring carvings you see on some stones flying up into the air. I don't know where the fire came from, it started out as gorse but it just got redder and redder until the whole painting was ablaze. I like the way it makes it more dynamic and sort of primal.

© Sue Wookey

This next one isn't quite so wild and has got the usual spiral in it because I can't seem to stay away from them, no matter how hard I try. It's an imaginary prehistoric landscape. Very imaginary. I expect any prehistoric shaman happening to wander through it would be wondering what the hell it was all about:

Prehistoric Landscape 1
© Sue Wookey

Coming soon - Gandalf in a very unGandalf like moment....no spirals....

4 comments:

Sarah A said...

Sue

I love love love these paintings are you going to have prints/cards made up from them. You seem to be going from strength to strength. Well done. What an amazing piece of work x Sarah A

Sue said...

Thanks Sarah! I'm glad you like them so much. I seem to be finding my feet with where I want to go with it all now :-). I will be doing giclee prints from at least 2 of the newer ones (when my fab new Epson pro printer arrives) but not cards. Cards have proved a nightmare because of costs so I've abandoned the idea!

Wait till you see the new Gandalf...

Teresa said...

hi Sue, I've only just caught up again with your blog - what great paintings these two are, along with the Midnight Tree! I particularly like the fiery standing stones, the colours are beautiful!! M x

Sue said...

I'm really glad you like these :-). I'm trying to find a looser style - not for all the paintings but for some that I'm more happy to sell originals of (rather than hoarding them obsessively like they were my babies or something...)