'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Wednesday, 16 July 2008


Silbury Harvest
© Sue Wookey


I've had a completely mad week re-painting all the mythical/symbol inspired paintings I do. I've been trying to source a printer and looking at them again I realised that a) they were too small to make the size posters I want and b) they are pathetic and I can do a lot better. So I've reworked every single one of them - 7 paintings in 7 days. A bit like creating the world only with more angst and no Sunday. In the process I've covered everything with paint, lost my dining table (AKA my studio...) under a sea of debris and pretty much forgotten to eat at any time that I should. And I've hardly been out of the house.

Yesterday I thought they were all wonderful. Today I realise that they are all c***. Such is art....


Sleep
© Sue Wookey

This is ironically called 'Sleep' something I've had very little of this week with all these paintings floating around in my head.

2 comments:

lmg said...

Sleep is new to me. I love it!

Sue said...

Thank you Lmg :-) It's one of the ones I'm having prints done of. There's a little bit of Navaho sand art influence in there (in the figures) but who knows where the rest of it has come from! It's all about falling into a dream and that 'spiralling down' feeling you get as you slip into one.