'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Sunday, 1 June 2008

Ditto my previous post - I'm still painting Tolkien, but I just had to paint Goldberry to go with Tom Bombadil. I've concentrated on the first time he sees her, after she's pulled him into the river (what larks...). Lucky for me that my giant yellow flags are blooming in the pond and I could use them for reference before giving them the chop (they really are too big for the average garden pond).



Goldberry
© Sue Wookey

If you look squinty eyed at this from a distance you can see that her body and sleeves form the shape of a large waterlily. Wierdly, it wasn't intentional - it was just there...

I'm intending to exhibit both Tom and Goldberry at the next Oxonmoot at Christ Church.

No comments: