'Artists are gnostics, and practise what the priests think is long forgotten.' - Hugo Ball

Saturday, 24 May 2008

I seem to have done nothing but Tolkien art for the last month! I've now tackled Tom Bombadil and tried to capture the moment the startled hobbits see his bright blue eye looking at them through the Ring:

Tom Bombadil looks through the Ring
© Sue Wookey

I've also given him the circlet of autumn leaves that replace the hat he wears when the hobbits first see him. Tom is a very difficult character to capture, so much larger-than-life, and I've never really seen an illustration of him that's really satisfied me or quite caught the spirit of him. At least in my picture there are no distracting oversized bright yellow boots!

2 comments:

lmg said...

Love this painting! I can't wait to see what else you come up with. :D

Sue said...

Hi LM, nice to see you over here :-). Glad you love the painting! There are plenty more Tolkien ones to come (the penalty of reading the books again) my head's stuffed with them to the exclusion of painting anything else at the moment.